Today is the 27th and it’s my 27th birthday. This means something to someone.
Tragic things that happened today:
– On Sept. 27, 1939, Warsaw, Poland, surrendered after weeks of resistance to invading forces from Nazi Germany and the Soviet Union during World War II.
– In 1854, the first great disaster involving an Atlantic Ocean liner occurred when the steamship Arctic sank with 300 people aboard.
– In 1959, a typhoon battered the main Japanese island of Honshu, killing nearly 5,000 people.
– In 1964, the Warren Commission issued a report concluding that Lee Harvey Oswald had acted alone in assassinating President Kennedy.
– In 199s, In Afghanistan, the Taliban, a band of former seminary students, drove the government of President Burhanuddin Rabbani out of Kabul, captured the capital and executed former leader Najibullah.
Slightly less tragic things that happened today:
– In 1779, John Adams was named to negotiate the Revolutionary War’s peace terms with Britain.
– In 1979, Congress gave final approval to forming the Department of Education, the 13th Cabinet agency in U.S. history.
– In 1991, President Bush announced that he was eliminating all U.S. battlefield nuclear weapons, and called on the Soviet Union to match the gesture.
– In 2000, Venus Williams became only the second player to win Wimbledon, the U.S. Open and the Olympics in the same year with her victory over Elena Dementieva.
– Rock singer brad arnold (3 Doors Down) is 23
– me, I’m 27
– jason kottke is 28
– Actress gwyneth paltrow is 29
– Rock singer stephan jenkins (Third Eye Blind) is 37
– Rock musician greg ham (Men At Work) is 48
– Singer meat loaf is 50
– Actor wilford brimley is 67
Kinda slim pickins’. Looks like Gwyneth and I will have to do something stellar together.